EDMONTON, AB – 04-17-2019 (PRDistribution.com) — Diamond & Diamond Lawyers LLP today announced the filing of a class action lawsuit against Sunniva Inc. and its subsidiary Natural Health Services. The suit arises from a data breach of confidential patient information and it is estimated up to 34,000 may have been affected.
Natural Health Service acts as a middle ground between physicians and patients seeking medical cannabis for treating various ailments. The organization’s parent company, Sunniva, operates various cannabis subsidiaries in both the United States and Canada, with their headquarters stationed in Western Canada.
The data breach, which according to the defendant occurred “between December 4, 2018 and January 7, 2019”, was only notified to affected Plaintiffs within the past month.
“The defendant failed to protect our client’s most sacred information”, said Jeremy Diamond, Manager Partner at Diamond and Diamond Lawyers. “It is our hope such a suit will ensure future safeguards are put into place.”
The defendant has acknowledged that the following patient information was disclosed:
- Diagnostic results
- Health care numbers
- Medical information including diagnostic results, medical conditions, allergies, encounter notes with clinics and doctors, referrals, forms and completed questionnaires
- Specific identifying information connected to the above, including name, age, gender, address, phone number
The Representative Plaintiff for the Alberta class, Clayton Hannah, stated, “I had incorrectly assumed my medical information would be properly stored when I filled out the form. This breach could have far reaching implications for thousands of us in terms of cross border travel or when trying to obtain insurance.”
Diamond and Diamond Lawyers LLP believes that thousands of people may have been impacted by this breach and are potentially entitled to seek compensation. Any individual who has provided any personal information to Natural Health Services is encouraged to contact the firm immediately by calling 1-800-567-HURT (4878) or visiting www.diamondlaw.ca
SOURCE Diamond & Diamond Lawyers LLP
About Diamond and Diamond:
Family owned firm has grown from 1 office in Toronto to 20 locations in a mere 5 years
- Winner of 7 readers choice awards, 3 Year Winner of Consumer’s Choice Award
- Featured legal commentators on 30+ radio and television stations and print media
- Sponsorships with Canada’s biggest sporting franchises (Toronto Raptors, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies, BC Lions, Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Rock as well as OHL teams across Ontario)
- 2016 Leger Polling shows evidence of unparalleled brand awareness. Nearly 70% of GTA residents are aware of the firm with only 3% able to name a competitor
Diamond and Diamond Lawyers LLP Edmonton Main Office
4246 97 Street NW, Unit 100, Edmonton, Alberta
To request an interview or for further information please contact: Jordan Whelan at Jordan@greysmokemedia.com
For the original news story, please visit https://prdistribution.com/news/personal-injury-firm-diamond-and-diamond-lawyers-represents-alberta-based-victims-in-newly-launched-suit.html.